The Sunday Post #6

I’m joinin’ in with Kimberly of Caffeinated Reviewer on Sundays to talk about anything new, to share what books have been read &/or have come in, and a heads up on what’s coming up next. I figure since I’m always prepping my book post on Sunday to publish in the wee hours of Monday, why not link up with her meme first?

And of course I will also link up with It’s Monday! What are you reading? hosted by Kathryn of The Book Date later on today. Kathryn took over this weekly, Monday meme from Shelia of Book Journey who had taken it over from J Kayne Book Blog. This meme is not just about adult books either. If you read picture and chapter books, juvenile fiction, or even YA, they count as well. Jen Vincent of Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee of Unleashing Readers give this Monday, book post link up a kid-focus.

The Dillio

Hello. Today should be a short post. I got to sleep in this morning which was very much-needed after watching a couple of episodes of Stranger Things with the girls. The teenager had heard about it from one of her BFF’s. Nice to see Winona Ryder in a come back + the kids are cute and great actors. The content is certainly different, what I feel is a cross between E.T. and Aliens.

I’ve been on a sewing track since Friday. I was excited to work with that Superman flannel but found I didn’t prewash it yet so it’s gettin’ its rub-a-dub-dub this very minute. I then thought I had a back up sewing project to work on but alas, the fabric had to be washed first.

“So many books, so little time.”
― Frank Zappa

Oh boy do I feel that lately, especially when I’m reminded on Goodreads how I’m three books behind schedule. Last year I was zippin’ through audiobooks which had made me an overachiever on my reading challenge. I’ve only finished one, Kindle book this week:

I’m always game to try new-to-me, historical romance authors. I sometimes feel for authors in this genre because I feel in a way, they are limited due to what the society’s constraints were in regards to decorum in those periods. I have to admit I’m a bit jaded when it comes to romance because it takes more for me to be impressed in terms of the plot’s creativity.

This read in general was a good one. I liked how strong Diane was and how she kept the Marquis of Haybury on his toes. I liked her will for independence and success. I did tire a bit now and then of their verbal sparring although these parts made me envision a fencing match of wills. I found the premise of wanting to open a gambling club and making it a success creative. I do like an underdog who bucks against conventions. The climax of the book was awkward and more like a ride on The Grizzly at Great America rather than like a heart-stopping roller coaster. I wasn’t impressed nor entirely convinced. However, I don’t mind continuing with this series but I’m in no rush to. Three stars.

On Deck

One book I had listed last Sunday, Breath of Fire, I found out I had read it already! I have no idea how I could have forgotten. Duh!

1. The Heist (Fox and O’Hare #1) by Janet Evanovich – I am not sure about this one as I had started reading it while on the elliptical and found myself checking the time.
  2. By Book or By Crook (Lighthouse Library Mystery #1) by Eva Gates, read by Elise Arsenault – Getting further into this one to give it more of a chance.

About the Dames

• The teenager is still getting through her second read of the Harry Potter series. Oh! Cute tidbit: After her Friday, doctor’s appointment, I dropped her off at the hub to meet up with her girlfriends so they could hang out for a few hours. Unexpectedly, when she got out of the car and walked past, she turned around, waved, and said, “Goodbye Mommy.” Be still my heart! Of course an image of her as a little one flashed through my head and made me sigh.
  • The youngest just finished the Seraphina series; she absolutely loved them all!

So are you particular about a certain genre where your expectations are high? If you have kids, do you watch a TV series with them? Okay. Off to check the laundry and work on my daily, water intake. Have a good Sunday. Thanks for poppin’ in. TTYS.

1. Gracey says:

Stranger Things is FANTASTIC!!!!! Pretty much the whole show is an homage to the 80’s and Steven Speilberg…..I loved it! And one very unlikable character has a great arc into series 2….I love Harry Potter and have both the complete American and British versions. The only romances I really read are historical, but haven’t read one in awhile and I’m really picky about them! I’m not going to do a book post this Monday…

2. Greg says:

Stranger Things is fun. 🙂 I liked the second season too. Oh and those lighthouse mysteries? I remember looking at those, I hope that series is good!

3. I love Stranger Things! I oddly enough referenced them in my post this week. Lol.

Aw what a sweet little moment. Kids sure do tug at those heartstrings!!

Erin @ Quixotic Magpie

4. Are you watching Stranger Things Season 1, or Season 2? Probably Season 1, if it is new to you. I devoured Season 1 last year, and then devoured Season 2 this year. -grin-

I think it is very wise, to watch tv with your children.

I keep doing the same thing! Bringing home a book, and realizing, I have read it before!!!!!! Just did it, this weekend! lol.

Tried (!!!) again to read a “Miss Read” book. So many ladies simply love them. But I just can’t really get into them. I think this is the last time, I “try.” ,-)

Had read the mystery, so was left with an old charming book, with is very magical, without faeries or magic. “The Little White Horse.” Ancient, and charming. Half way through, last night.

W-A-I-T-I-N-G for a new book, to arrive in the US, mid May!!!!!!!! I’ll get it first, since I am the one, who got my library to order it. 🙂

5. Hena Tayeb says:

Glad you finally discovered Stranger Things.. it is awesome.
    My boys aren’t at the age where we can share a show together..
    If I had a girl than I would be so excited to share with her the oh so many shows I grew up watching.. wondering if the Unfortunate Events Series would be something they’d like?
    I grew up reading romance novels.. but now I can’t stand most of them.. they all seems far too predictable. I tend to lean more towards thrillers and suspense. Something fast paced.

6. Kathy Martin says:

I’ve never seen Stranger Things, but then, I don’t watch much television. I tend to be picky about my urban fantasy since I’ve read so much of it. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

7. Stephanie… Re: Your comment question in my blog….“Did you mean you’re trying a Must Read book?”

No, I mean The Miss Read books… Old books, but well loved, by many.

In case my clickable link above doesn’t work… I will show it here….

I tried watching Stranger Things…and it freaked me out too much to continue!

My youngest gets scared and has to open the lights everywhere when she goes back to her room but she really likes the show. I love the boys in that show; they’re terrific actors; the fact that they can memorize all of those lines as they’re the main characters is amazing.

We switched and are now watching Lost In Space! It’s fantastic!

9. We loved Stranger Things, in fact, it is the first show we binged in a week. WAiting for the fabric to prewash is a pain, but disastrous if you don’t.

10. Kathryn says:

Oh I love how your daughter said good-bye – a sweet moment to treasure. I enjoy a historical romance every so often, I just bring no expectations but so long as it doesn’t bore me its okay!

11. Stranger Things is on my To Watch list but I’ve never actually sat down and watched it. I’m thinking I need to give it a try! I loved Suzanne Enoch back when I first started reading romance but kind of stopped. I’m not sure if her books changed or my expectations did. Have you read Laura Lee Guhrke or Sabrina Jeffries? Those are 2 of my favorites. Have a great week!

12. when my kids were here and little we did watch lots of tv together but that was before streaming. I love stranger things and my husband does too, it’s a well made program with just the right amount of suspense. I’m reading A Trick of the Light by louise penny and The Brothers Karamazov.

13. Please… Be aware… SPAM comments are back… Had to put Comment Mod. on, because of it.

14. Ohhh silly me!!!!!!

You dooooooo use Comment Mod!!!!

Good for you.

I don’t like it, because Blogger does not show the person, a copy of their comment, until I Publish it. Yours does show the comment, right away, and says it is awaiting Moderation.

15. Awww what a sweet little moment there! ❤

well I don't have kids but anyone who's met me knows how crazy I am about kids and parenting and such! It might sound so weird but sometimes when I'm at the store, I pick out cards for my future kids and when I read books, somewhere at the back of my mind I think 'I'll read this one with my future kid' lol I know that sounds funny 😛 But I'd definitely read Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, Harry Potter and all of Rick Riordan's books with my kids ❤ I think those have such great life lessons and the young age is the best time to be inculcating those 🙂

Hi Stefanie 🙂 I’m not a big fan of any kind of romance, books or movies/tv shows…I gag a little for some reason lol…but then I’m such a romantic myself…funny huh? For me, a mystery needs to be very well written or I feel like I’m reading the same book over and over. I’m more into biographies lately though. That and some holistic pet care books!

17. It was very hard to keep up with Al and her reading. I probably should have kept a closer eye on her! hahaha. I have a book from the barn about therapuetic riding that I may read this weekend!

Reading about therapeutic riding sounds interesting. I’ll be interested in hearing what you learn from it. I am inexperienced in riding horses.

I enjoy good historical romance also. I read and watch tv with my kids as well. My son and I are big Walking Dead fans and we watch every Sunday night when it’s on. And I read with my daughter, we tend to read the same books especially during summer vacation months. It’s fun sharing favorite books and shows. Enjoy your week!