The Sunday Post #2

Good afternoon; it’s 1:20 pm here. I’m joinin’ in with Kimberly of Caffeinated Reviewer on Sundays to talk about anything new, to share what books have been read &/or have come in, and a heads up on what’s coming up next. I figure since I’m always prepping my book post on Sunday to publish in the wee hours of Monday, why not link up with her meme first?

And of course I will also link up with It’s Monday! What are you reading? hosted by Kathryn of The Book Date later on today. Kathryn took over this weekly, Monday meme from Shelia of Book Journey who had taken it over from J Kayne Book Blog. This meme is not just about adult books either. If you read picture and chapter books, juvenile fiction, or even YA, they count as well. Jen Vincent of Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee of Unleashing Readers give this Monday, book post link up a kid-focus.

The Dillio

I’ve had a relaxing weekend so far. After school Friday, I treated the teenager and three of her girlfriends to FroYo. They sat by themselves at two, small, round tables and chatted away. I always find it cute to see them in action like that. I read at another table by myself. Before we left, I made sure to buy my youngest some chocolate frozen yogurt topped with two kinds of boba as she kept moaning during the week about she wasn’t getting to go, LOL.

Yesterday, the youngest attended a classmate’s birthday party while her sister played with our neighbor. I spent most of the day sewing a gift that’s made out of real cute fabric. Our family had another vegetarian dinner as we’re really into roasted vegetables tossed in EVOO + seasoned with salt and pepper. Later that night three of us watched Coco, a movie I highly recommend if you haven’t seen it already.

Today, the crew and I had brunch at a local, breakfast place to celebrate our 11th anniversary, something my husband and I knew was coming up but didn’t realize it was this particular Sunday. We got placed out in the patio area so we all ordered hot cocoas that were served in small, mason jar glasses. The restaurant was generous with the whipped cream, all swirled up on top and covered in brightly colored sprinkles. I had one of their special omelettes and hash browns; the husband had chicken fried steak, fruit, and sunny-side up eggs; the teenager had a veggie burrito without the scrambled eggs; and the youngest had bacon and scrambled eggs with hash browns. Did you dine out this weekend? What’s your/your crew’s favorite dish to eat at home?

“I spent my life folded between the pages of books.
In the absence of human relationships I formed bonds with paper characters. I lived love and loss through stories threaded in history; I experienced adolescence by association. My world is one interwoven web of words, stringing limb to limb, bone to sinew, thoughts and images all together. I am a being comprised of letters, a character created by sentences, a figment of imagination formed through fiction.”

Tahereh Mafi, Shatter Me

I was able to finish one book this week: Marked (House of Night #1) by P.C. Cast. I cannot remember why I was inspired to check the series out but I was curious about its high ratings.

High school,

wanting to be normal.

Mean girls,

hot guys.

Unwelcome changes

that have you go from day to night.

Making friends

who know unconditional.

Blessed with powers early on,

what you’d like to do vs. what you need to do.

One of the things that stood out to me was the ambiance of high school from the way characters talked and acted. I felt the age of this writing not only because of the former but also because of the year of publication. It kind of bothered me bit at first, but I got used to it. What I found interesting was the House of Night and how one would become a vampire; it’s not like the typical exchanging of blood or even getting bitten. I have to stay vague here because I don’t want to give away anything.  The plot in general in this first installment is pretty straightforward and simple. However, by the end, there is a foreboding of what is to come in later books as this first one is just scratches upon the world of the House of Night. I will read more of this series for sure. Three stars.

Batter Up!

1. Insurgent (Divergent #2) by Veronica Roth
  2. Lost and Found Sisters (Wildstone #1) by Jill Shalvis
  3. The Bone Witch (The Bone Witch #1) by Rin Chupeco

Well, I’m off to knit. Unfortunately, I need to let the frogs out on one, garment project. And after two starts on the teen’s (Slither Inn colorway) She Who Breathes (named by my child herself), I can progress further on her socks at least.

Thanks for dropping by today. TTYS.

1. happy anniversary!!! You are an awesome mom to sit at another table and to buy for the younger sister 🙂 I spent the weekend reading and knitting and sometimes at the same time. I’m on number six of the Gamache (which is better than five…) .

2. StackingMy BookShelves says:

You know I have Marked but haven’t read it. I should move it up on my list. Have a great week reading and knitting!

Mary my #SundayRoundup

3. Gracey says:

Busy weekend! Can’t wait to see the socks…

4. Greg says:

We have a FroYo too and it’s quite popular! And that’s funny about sitting apart- I did the same thing recently, took the girls and some friends to see Black Panther and they all sat in a little group and I sat off somewhere else with my own popcorn lol. I glanced over occasionally and they were having a good time!

Roasted vegetables! That’s interesting because I am flirting with the idea of going vegetarian- I’ve given up red meat (but still eat turkey- occasionally- and fish) and I’m trying to eat more vegetables. We’ll see how it goes. 🙂

Happy anniversary!!! I think House of Night looks good, even if it is geared more towards high school age, but I’m curious how they turn vampires. Sounds like it has a unique take, and I love the covers on the series.

5. Sounds like a lovey weekend with the family. Happy anniversary! We also went for dinner on Saturday. Although we were less about celebrating and more about not wanting to cook… 🙃

Thank you. What did you eat? Do you order something you don’t usually cook at home? That’s my mom’s advice.

1. Chinese. We could make one of the dishes (the singapore noodles) but the steamed wantons and crispy skinned pork… gotta buy that. Lol

6. Lynn says:

Happy Anniversary! Loving the photos on Instagram!

We love oven roasted veggies around here, especially with new potatoes, onions, carrots, mushrooms, sweet peppers and cauliflower florets. In addition to EVOO I toss in minced garlic, balsamic vinaigrette and a dash of hot sauce (or hot pepper flakes). Yum! That might be dinner tonight!

Still waiting for book two in my fantasy trilogy so I’ve been reading humorous fiction by Terry Fallis.

Sorry about the frogging, but I always feel better once I’ve done it.

7. Happy Anniversary!!!!! Sounds like a delightful way, to celebrate it!!!

Not into fiction at the moment. Gave up on the last couple I tried. Am really doing topic reading. Have read ‘every book printed” 🙂 on Decluttering. LOL Moved on to a couple of other topics.

Found “Mark Mason” and I really enjoy his site. Am now reading his “The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F**k”… He seems to be high on common sense. A rarity today, when every writer seems to have some sort of a political agenda. Which I get tired of.

8. That “Mark Mason” above, is a click-able link, which takes you to his web site.

9. henatayeb says:

Happy Anniversary..
    We loved Coco.. such a beautiful movie.. M is not big on animated movies but even he liked it.

10. Kathryn says:

Happy Anniversary and a lovely way to celebrate. All the best with the sewing,knitting and reading. Love how you take your daughter and her friends out and then use your time so well at another table!

11. Happy Anniversary. It sounds like you had a lovely weekend with good food! I always go for an omelet and my hubby gets the chicken fried steak and eggs. How funny is that? I want to see Coco.

12. I would love some FroYo right now. That restaurant sounds good, too. Happy anniversary. Have a great week!

13. March 27th…

Thank you so much, for your Happy Birthday wishes to me….

14. Erin @ Quixotic Magpie says:

It sounds like you had a great week! I love going out for brunch, more than for dinner actually. Lol. We went out this weekend – I ordered the mac and cheese so that if Wyatt didn’t like his food, he could eat some of mine, which was smart, since that is what happened. It was so good, and there was so much that I actually had some to bring home. I hope your week is going well!

I love your time at the Fro Yo shop…you are such a good mom! And I love celebrating anniversaries in a relaxed casual way!

Thank you, Patty. I appreciate your love. I try to be. I’m about to ream the teenager who’s been lagging on cleaning her room. Like she has anything else to do besides pop her slime about while watching Youtube.

Oh well…that’s truly what a teeanager does…right? She lags and you nag…the way of the world!

16. I love FroYo though it’s been far too long since I’ve had it! The people in my house are ice cream people only and I never think to get it on my own. I have The Lost and Found Sisters from the library and I’m looking forward to it. Jill Shalvis is always a good read. Hope you’re having a fantastic week!

17. autumngeisha says:

Your anniversary brunch sounded delicious! We have a local restaurant that serves a heavenly Sunday Brunch that fills us up all day.
    Your roasted vegetables picture on IG looked so good. I am going to have my husband pick up some of that spice mix at Trader Joe’s. We have been loving our weekly curry dinners at home. I like to change up between Indian, Thai and Japanese curries.

Happy Anniversary, that sounds like a nice brunch. And happy knitting!

19. The FroYo sounds great. It’s nice that you let them sit like that.

I actually have Coco sitting there to watch but haven’t found the time yet!

Happy anniversary to you and your hubby!

I’ve been wanting to read House of Night! I’m glad you found it OKay..

The Bone Witch is also on my TBR. I hope you like it!